Saint Martin's University Worthington Center
Saint Martin's University O'Grady Library
Governor's Mansion Remodel
Ramblin Jack's Lonestar Kitchen
University of Washington Tacoma Campus Building Remodels
Reeves Middle School Remodel
South Sound High School
Lakeview Elementary School
Lakewood Fire Station
Suzuki Dealership Capital Auto Mall
Capital Heating & Cooling was started in 1937 by two German immigrant business partners, William Schmidtke and Helmut Klein when they purchased Tobin Sheet Metal. Their company began as Capital Sheet Metal and was located down on State Street in a 500 square foot shop. Over the years, sheet metal fabrication led into the building of ductwork, which in turn moved the company into a fully fledged heating and air conditioning contractor.
Around the year 1958, the company moved to a building on Harrison across from Desco Electronics.
In 1963 the company was incorporated and also became an authorized dealer for General Electric heating and air conditioning systems. In 1980, General Electric sold this division to the Trane Company, and Capital remained a dealer since that time.
1973 brought the move out to our current location at 1218 Carpenter Rd SE in Lacey.
Also in 1980, William Schmidtke passed away and the company was taken over by Larry Schmidtke and his wife Dianne. Through that time, the company became increasingly diversified specializing in residential and commercial HVAC systems, air duct cleaning, repair and maintenance, and of course, custom sheet metal.
2003 marked the year Larry and Dianne retired and their three sons, William, Chuck, and Dean took over ownership in 2007. 2007 also marked the company’s registration of the trade name "Capital Heating & Cooling" to better describe the company’s focus on HVAC system design and installation
Westside Location circa 1963
Carpenter Rd Location Circa 1974
Larry & Dianne Schmidtke
One of our earliest ads circa 1963